Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

1,000-meter repeats

Today was sort of a breakthrough day. Of course, with a nearly-50-year-old body, breakthroughs are more like trickle-throughs. Nothing comes suddenly or easily.

I ran 15 minutes with the middle school kids, then played a little ultimate Frisbee. Then I tried to attack the track with 1,000-meter repeats. The goal was to hit 4:24 on every one (22-minute 5K pace) with a 200 walk to the starting line again (about 3 minute rest).

The result:
4:15 (3-minute rest)
4:23 (3-minute rest)
4:20 (a longer rest to go to the bathroom and get a drink).
4:24 (a little longer rest, wondering if I could make it the last one).
1:42 for 400. My lower leg (right?) started to cramp a bit, and I immediately stopped. It doesn't feel sore now, 2 hours later, so I think I'm OK. I'll completely rest tomorrow.

So it was 19:04 for 4,400 meters. 6:58 per mile.

OK, so if I can do this on Oct. 17, I'll run 21:39 -- and be the happiest person in the world.

4.5 miles tonight.

Yesterday, I warmed up with the middle school team as it got ready for the Mount Pleasant meet. A half mile, plus a little bit more. It was a fun night of cross country -- the kids ran their best, with Taylor 2nd, Eli 5th, Angel 9th, and everybody running so well. Then I was further inspired by Sam and Jake and Ruben and the boys as they won another meet. This is a fun tradition to be part of -- I'm trying to inspire those younger kids to be a big part of this.

Monday, I ran 2.1 miles -- the cemetary loop -- in 20:20.

Total for the week -- 7.3 miles. Total miles on the new shoes -- 201.

No comments: