Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A new beginning

I begin anew after yet another fall-winter injury, this time an achilles tendon issue that required 7 trips to a physical therapist to work out. This one has made me really think about how hard I am running. I am starting back very conservatively. Every other day, now I am up to about 29 minutes.

That's what I ran tonight. 10-minute warmup with our new dog, Luke, up to the fence by the bike path and the school and back. Then I stretched well inside, drove out to Eastlake, did a little dynamic warmup and ran three laps on the road. It was very cold, probably high teens, with the wind blowing. The road was a bit icy from early this morning.

The big change I am making is my role. I am the new cross country coach at Columbus and am putting a lot of thought into this. Of course, I am so pumped for this job. I take a great deal of pride in it. I have been talking to kids about running, trying to inspire some of the excitement that pushed me to first start running more than 35 years ago.

I will be writing more about this new chapter in my running life as I log my miles and get ready for my first season as a high school coach.

Total miles -- 2.9

No comments: