Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Great start to 2009

The last several years, I have been locked in a belief about my running. I had chronic Achilles tendinitis, for which I had customiazed orthotics made several years ago -- at least 10. So, ever since I started this blog, and well before that, I wore the orthotics. But I remained injured.

Finally, in November, I got a new pair of shoes -- Saucony Guide -- and decided to try running without the orthotics. I started on the treadmill, took it pretty easy. I tried outside on the streets once, and the soft tissue outside the Achilles was sore. So I went back in on the treadmill, recovered. Then I decided to run on the grass of the soccer fields and that area of Eastlake Park. It has been a great revelation, and I plan to just continue.

This week, I ran 20 minutes around the school -- the surface was a little rough, and I felt just a little soreness, so I stopped short of the goal of at least 25 minutes. Wednesday, I ran outside in brutal cold for 28 minutes on the grass. Then tonight was my best run yet, 31 minutes.

I have to keep going. I want to run with my athletes starting next month. I want to run this summer, and during the fall. I want to lose weight and attempt my ultimate goal of a 5-minute mile. So far, things are going well. I feel this is what I was meant to do and I am doing it.

1 comment:

Sub 5 at 50 miler said...

John:

I'm glad to hear your year is off to a great start. Keep up the slow, steady progress. I've found that running, especially long distance running and the associated training, has many parallels to our life in Christ. A lot of suffering, as Christ suffered, with a goal on the ultimate prize (Christ himself) as our inspiration to continue. I wonder when Paul wrote Corinthians, and referenced "all the runners run" if he was referring to a sprint or a longer run?

Anyway, feel free to check out some of my recent "winter" training on my blog.

http://bozosbucket.blogspot.com/