Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Nice and steady

Since I last wrote, I have established an easy flow to my running routine. I am still running every other day, and the last four times I have gone 22 minutes. My cardiovascular condition is improving -- I feel like I have more endurance through everything I do during the day. The ease in which I proceed through my runs increases.

Today, I ran on the treadmill.

The Achilles tendinitis is still there, slightly, but I don't feel it when I run. I am concentrating on taking quick strides and not putting any undue strain on the Achilles. Then, for about the last three runs, I have experienced some discomfort in my upper butt-lower back-left hip area. It seems to relax/loosen up as I get further into the run. When I lie on the ground, I feel that area sort of relaxing/stretching. It's as if I am taking pressure off it. I think what I will do for that is not push it, do as much stretching as I can, and concentrate on strengthening my abdominal muscles. I need to strengthen my core.

I will be running occasionally with the distance girls on the track team starting in early November. I am preparing for that -- sort of building up to that point. I am really looking forward to going to Fort Dodge tomorrow for the state cross country meet. Some girls I teach will be running, some girls from my wife's school will be running. On top of that, I love the atmosphere -- the cool weather, the positive, well-adjusted, hard-working kids. I believe I was meant to be in this atmosphere, and I embrace it every chance I get.

1 comment:

Greg On the Run said...

Go! Go!

Check out the latest issue of Running Times (on the newsstand this week) and read the article about stretching and traveling (I think that was the article). Anyway - the article was talking about how stretching in one area helped and elite runner gain relief in her Achilles tendon. Not that you are suffering from the same malady but I really think you're on the right track in searching for relief through a different body position.