Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Inspiration


"A 48-year-old can't run a 5-minute mile."

Those are the words of my daughter, Megan, when I told her of my plans. And those words will be part of my motivation in my quest to run the mile in 5 minutes before age 50.

In fairness to my kids, I have been kicking around this idea of running very fast -- for the first time in their lives -- for a few years now. They have to wonder whether I can do it, because I always seem to be derailed by injuries.

But I have the knowledge, the will and the motivation to do it. It will make it very special when my kids finally see it.

4 comments:

Greg On the Run said...

I found you on the Complete Running Network.

What a great goal. I'll be watching with interest.

Paul said...

Hey Riley,
I'm also a Masters runner. I enter your age group next year when I turn 45. My story is similar. I ran 4:26 and 2:00 in HS. I began running on 1/1/2004 weighing 210 at 6'2". I am now down to 175 and last year ran 5:04 for the mile and 2:11 for the 800. This year I had two injuries that kept me out for periods of 2 months (ab strain) and 3 weeks (quad strain) so I say 'amen' to your focus on staying healthy.
I also have a blog at aaob.blogspot.com.
I look forward to following your progress.
Paul

Riley said...

Paul, I read your post and saw your blog. Thank you. I will be following your progress. It's good to know this is all possible.

Matt Jacques said...

I'm 15 years your junior and feel that a 5-minute mile would be mind-bogglingly difficult. Your goal is very inspiring! It's good to have those pesky voices telling you what you can't do just to prove you can!
Matt
http://majarun.wordpress.com/