Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Good first week

I've run every other day this week, and I am maintaining quite well. First of all, my Achilles is feeling pretty well. It's a little sore ocassionally, but it is not getting worse. In fact, it feels better. My eating has been great. Very little junk food, not over-eating.

Wednesday, October 10, I did the same workout as Monday, October 8. I did a 6-7-minute walk to warm up, ran 10 minutes (about a mile) and walked a couple of minutes. Then finished with another 10-minute run. I kept it very steady and felt like I was in control the whole way.

Then this morning, after a poor night of sleep, I did the warmup walk of 6 minutes, followed by a 2-mile jog in 20:40. It felt great. I'm in poor shape, so I labored a bit as I ran. But I kept it very steady and in control. It was a real nice run, and then iced my achilles immediately. I believe if I keep up this pace-distance for a while, and keep icing and taking ibuprofen, the Achilles tendinitis will fade away.

I am concentrating on being light on my feet, as Jeff Galloway recommends. Quick turnover. I'm not overstriding, in fact just concentrating on keeping my upper body directly over my legs as I run. I'm keeping my upper body very steady.

I'm starting to feel like a runner again.

"Good things come slow - especially in distance running."
-- Bill Dellinger, former Oregon coach

No comments: