Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Monday, April 25, 2011

New goal

Maybe it was a mistake to read my 11th-grade Composition journal. But it's really gotten the wheels turning. I used my journal to record legendary cross country and track workouts, predictions, times, results, etc. I was a hell of a high school runner.

I believe I can return to being a hell of a runner. So I have been clicking around and rediscovered the master's running entry of Richard Stiller. He had a plan for running a 5:20 mile in his early 50s, and he succeeded. I'm not even going to get into the specifics of the plan because I'm not even close to that position right now.

But I am going to try to hit 5:20 or 5:30 .... before I'm 55. That's about 3 years and 7 months. I can do it, I know I can. But here are some overarching principles I must follow:


  • Lose weight and eat and drink healthy. I'll probably have to get down between 160 and 170. 24 weeks, 24 pounds to Run for the Schools (171 projection).

  • Stay healthy. If you suffer a muscle tweak, slow down or back off. Example: I felt a little cramp on the outside of my lower right leg tonight. Ease off, like I did. Stretch lightly.

  • Be consistent. Run smart and steady. Begin to do one faster run a week (tempo) at about the six-week mark -- about that first week I get out of school. Do just one faster run (tempo, intervals) a week. Be able to run almost 3 hours a week and be well conditioned.



10 weeks to July 4 run (goal: run 20 miles a week before that):





Week 1 -- 13; Week 2 -- 14; Week 3 -- 15; Week 4 -- 12; Week 5 -- 15; Week 6 -- 16; Week 7 -- 17; Week 8 -- 15; Week 9 -- 19; Week 10 -- 20 (shoot for 8K at CR).

No comments: