Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eugene





I ran on Pre's Trail on Wednesday, July 15. It is a little over 4 miles and I made it in about 36 minutes. I ran hard for 30 minutes. A message that kept repeating in my mind as I ran was: Give it a hard effort, the way Pre would. That carried me.

It was a 90-degree afternoon in Eugene -- very warm, but not humid. I had not drank enough water on the 300-mile trip from Bellingham, Washington, to Eugene, so I was probably a little dehydrated. The trails were neat and soft and almost spongy with wood chips. The distance was about 4 miles. The surroundings were beautiful. At times, I ran through a tunnel of trees. At times, I had the Willamette River at my side. The trail was rarely straight; it wound around the countryside in Alton BAker Park and had little ups and downs. It was beautiful and fun and I was in awe that this was once the place where Pre ran.

It was just a late add-on to our trip to the Northwest. We were going to Bellingham, Washington, to visit my daughter Megan. Then we decided that, on the way back, we would visit Eugene, Oregon, before we took a different route home.
Eugene, Oregon. Track Town USA. It is the place Steve Prefontaine made famous.

No comments: