Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Feeling good

It has been a long time since I could run without something holding me back, usually a nagging injury or two. But now things seem to be coming together. Nothing hurts when I run. I've increased the amount of time spent running to 33 minutes. The other day I ran 15 minutes on the treadmill, then 18 minutes outside (or 2 miles).

It is a good baseline measure of my fitness -- the ability to run 2 miles at 9-minute pace without working too hard. I felt like I was cruising. I think I could keep that up for another mile.

I'll try it again tonight, when I get home from the young writers' conference. I think I'll run exclusively outside tonight.

Early April -- 4 miles comfortably at 9-minute pace.

Early May -- 5 miles comfortably at 9-minute pace.

Early June -- After starting to insert a few faster sessions, try to get that easy run place down to 8:30.

In mid-August, I want to be able to run 6 miles in 8-8:30 pace, pretty comfortably.

Then by October, the goal is to try a 5K and break 20 minutes.

UPDATE -- After a 5-minute warmup on the treadmill, I went out and ran a half-hour, 15 minutes toward downtown and back. It was great. I was able to pick it up on the way back, with the wind. I feel great about my running right now.

No comments: