Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Patience

"...let us run with patience
the race that is set before
us...."
Hebrews 12:1

This was part of the reading today at church and means so much to me today. It has a literal meaning for me now. This morning, before church, I decided to run outside -- on the fresh, new snow. I love the soft sound of my feet running through the snow. It is peaceful and soothing. And that is the way it was going until, about 19 minutes into the run, I felt a sharp tweak in my lower left calf. Run over. I had to walk a mile and a half through the brutal temperatures, losing body heat with every minute, just to get home.

Run with patience. That is the key. The first thought I had after the injury is, "I don't know if I will ever get to this goal of running a 5-minute mile, but I am going to be patient and persistent." I'll take a day off, then maybe go a mile on the treadmill on Tuesday until the pain subsides. That is the difference from my injuries in past years. I would take it as a setback instead of just a small obstacle to get around. That is what this is -- one of a series of obstacles: both Achilles, the other calf, the right hamstring, the lower back/butt muscle. These are all things I have gotten around.

Tammy did get me a new pair of running shoes for Christmas, and I am thinking those represent a more injury-free me. They represent a good start to 2008. As I was talking to the Running Wild salesman, he mentioned that you just have to stay consistent. Keep going. One foot in front of the other. Even if it isn't all that fast or far. Just keep going.

Patience is such a key to everything for me right now.I need to be patient and take it step by step. It will come. I feel very good that approach.

2 comments:

Brett Wm. Templeton said...

Hi Riley,

I stumbled across your blog before I stumbled out the door for my long run today. I'm not sure we are on the same goal, but it seems our paths have converged for a time.

I'm a 47 year old former 'High School pretty good miler' - excited about finding out where my potential is now. I never stopped running completely, just didn't train to race.

The way training is going these days I might get to the 5 minute mile mark this summer (2008).

A couple of things you wrote connected with me. First, in a November post you wrote about searching the internet for people that share your goal, "They are so rare." That's the truth.

Then, today you quoted from Hebrews about patience. While you were reading Hebrews yesterday, we were reading about patience from James 5:7-10. There is a treasure trove of scripture to motivate and sustain runners.

There is even a hymn or two. One of my very favorites is Take My Life, and Let It Be - in which the first stanza ends, "Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for thee." Well, I'm working on the swiftness, I'll let Him be concerned with the beautiful part!

Keep up the worthy effort, be patient, never give up.

Grace & peace,
Brett

PS - Maybe we'll meet on a track someday?!

Riley said...

Thank you, Brett, I appreciate it. Let me know how it is going for you. I agree it is a worthy goal.

I think I have sung the hymn you quoted; it has been a while. And while I believe that the references to races and running in scripture are mostly figurative, they motivate me as a runner. They motivate me as someone who is trying to follow Christ, too.

Thank you for your encouragement. I offer the same to you. There are a lot of people who are trying to run a marathon, but our goal is pretty rare. And as you way, very worthy.

Peace and grace to you, too, Brett.

Steve Riley