Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

20 runs

I hit 20 runs since I established my goal of a 5-minute mile before I'm 50 years old. That's probably 50 to 55 miles. That's OK with me if it's not an ass-busting pace or mileage total. That's not what I need. In fact, before I even try t0 run fast (as in intervals/strides/fartlek) I will probably put on 250 miles before I even try to push myself. I want to put on the mileage, being able to:
a. lose weight
b. strengthen and condition muscles and ligaments so I don't get injured
c. develop enough aerobic capacity to be able to withstand a slight bit of anaerobic

So I should be able to go 5 to 6 miles at about 9 minute pace in this first phase -- which will end up being something like 18 weeks of running. Then when I do start faster running, I will start with strides -- just to get my leg turnover rate going. Then some fartlek, then maybe blend in some 200s, etc.

Then over the next 4 months or so after that, which will put me at about the end of state track, I want to do actual speedwork once a week. At that point, I want to be able to run about a 20-minute 5K in June. This would allow me about 4 months to get down to 19 minutes.

2 comments:

Greg On the Run said...

Smart to not push it until you're ready and have more miles. How many runs will you do before you go for your time?

Riley said...

It will be approximately 400. I will be running four days a week -- perhaps increasing it to 5 later on -- for the next two years.