Running bike path on Valentine's Day 2010.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New year

I like beginnings and starts, cleaning the slate. In some ways, I feel like I am doing that as the new year starts and in some ways, I feel like I am continuing some great things. I am building my faith, for example. I feel like it has a stronger foundation than it ever has.

My running also is just a continuation of a strong end of the year. I feel like my running is for my own joy but it also will do good for other people. If I am healthy and running strong, I feel more well-rounded and a better father and husband and teacher.

I ran 34 minutes on the treadmill yesterday and it was a good run. I need to get over this little soreness I am having in my right achilles near the heal. Probably just 20 minutes tomorrow morning before I resume school.

2 comments:

Brett Wm. Templeton said...

Hi Steve,

I noticed you haven't updated your progress in a month. I hope you are progressing smoothly toward your goal.

I've reached a mile stone (pun not intended) toward mine. I'm at 42 miles a week and set to increase to 60 gradually and cautiously over the next couple of months.

Also, my "easy" run(heart rate @ 140-150bpm) minutes per mile has dropped to just under 7:30. This amazed me. Most of last year I was at around 9. Then late last year - 8:30, now 7:30 - wow! I'm excited... (I monitor my HR on the easy runs so I don't fool myself into running too fast.)

Anyway - hang in there, run smart.

Grace & Peace,
Brett

Riley said...

Hi Brett,

Thanks for writing. Sorry I haven't updated my blog lately. I have slowed a bit, mostly because of a slight Achilles injury I suffered from running on an indoor track. But I've nursed it along and, finally, it seems much better. Today, I did 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes outside. It has been so cold and icy here in Iowa, it is hard to run safely outside. So what running I have done has been inside on my treadmill. But it feels good to be on the comeback trail. I am inspired by your progress. That pretty much describes my pace -- I will average 9 minutes a mile now. So to see that with steady progress I can improve that gives me great hope. I need to stay healthy.

Grace and peace to you, too.

Steve